Mar 12, 2023,Posted by: Ava Bialy
Why do people sell art prints instead of paintings themselves?
If you’re an artist who has made the decision to sell your work, you may be wondering whether to sell paintings or art prints. There are several advantages to selling art prints instead of original paintings. Let’s explore some of these benefits.
1. Reach a Wider Audience
When you sell art prints instead of original paintings, you can reach a much wider audience. Original paintings are usually expensive and out of reach for many art enthusiasts. Art prints, on the other hand, are more affordable and can be purchased by more people, thereby increasing your potential customer base.
2. Easier to Store and Ship
Selling art prints is much easier to store and ship than selling original paintings. Original paintings require special packaging to ensure that they are not damaged in transit. Art prints, on the other hand, can be printed on demand and shipped in standard envelopes, making the process much simpler and more cost-effective.
3. Sell More Copies at a Lower Price
When you sell art prints, you can sell more copies at a lower price than an original painting. This can be a great way to increase your profits without having to raise the price of your original paintings. It’s also a great way to reach more people who may not be able to afford an original painting.
4. Sell More Art in a Shorter Timeframe
When you sell art prints, you can sell more art in a shorter timeframe than if you were to sell original paintings. This is because prints can be produced quickly and don’t require the same level of attention as an original painting. This can be especially useful if you’re looking to make a quick sale.
5. Easier to Replicate
Finally, selling art prints is much easier to replicate than selling original paintings. If you want to produce more copies of an art print, you can simply reprint them. With original paintings, you would have to recreate the piece from scratch, which can be time-consuming and expensive.
These are just some of the benefits of selling art prints over original paintings. With art prints, you can reach a wider audience, store and ship them more easily, sell more copies at a lower price, and replicate them with ease. So if you’re looking to sell your artwork, art prints may be the perfect option for you.
Art prints are becoming increasingly popular as a way to make money off of artwork. While painting or drawing the original art can be a creative and satisfying process, selling prints is an excellent way to make a profit from the artwork. Here, we’ll explore the financial and creative benefits of selling art prints instead of the original paintings or drawings.
Financial Benefits of Selling Art Prints
One of the primary benefits of selling art prints is that it’s much less expensive than selling the original painting or drawing. Because the prints are copies, they don’t have the same value as an original work, so you can charge much lower prices. This makes selling prints more accessible to buyers and gives you the potential to make higher profits.
In addition, prints are easier to store and ship than original works. They don’t require the same level of protection, so you don’t have to worry about investing in additional materials. This can make it easier to manage your inventory and keep costs low.
Creative Benefits of Selling Art Prints
Selling prints also offers creative benefits. Once you’ve created the original artwork, you can use it to create multiple prints. These prints can be sold in different sizes or on different materials, giving you the opportunity to experiment and make unique pieces. You can also produce prints in bulk and make them available to a wider audience.
Finally, selling prints gives you the freedom to continue creating original works without worrying about selling them. This can be helpful if you’re trying to focus on developing your creative skills or trying out new styles and techniques.
Selling art prints is a great way to make a profit from your artwork without sacrificing your creative freedom. With the financial and creative benefits, it’s easy to see why so many artists are turning to prints to make money from their art.
When it comes to selling artwork, many artists find themselves at a crossroads. Do they sell their original paintings, or do they opt for art prints? While there are benefits and drawbacks to each, it’s important to consider all of the factors before deciding which route to take.
Pros of Selling Original Paintings
- Higher Profit Margins: When you sell an original painting, you’re selling a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork. This means that you can often command a higher price, and can earn more profit in the long run.
- More Authentic Experience: By selling an original painting, buyers get a more authentic experience. They get the feeling of owning a unique piece of artwork, and that feeling is priceless.
- Opportunity to Connect with Buyers: When you sell an original painting, you also have an opportunity to connect with the buyer. You can explain the story behind the painting, discuss the techniques you used, and even share your inspiration.
Cons of Selling Original Paintings
- Time-Consuming: Creating an original painting can be a long and tedious process. It often takes many hours to complete, and it can be quite costly in terms of materials and supplies.
- Pricey: Original paintings are often very expensive, which can be a deterrent for some buyers.
- High Risk: Selling an original painting means that you’re taking a risk. You never know how long it will take to find a buyer, and there is a chance that you won’t make your money back.
Pros of Selling Art Prints
- Easier to Produce: Producing art prints is much easier than creating an original painting. You can create multiple copies of the same artwork, and you don’t have to invest as much time and money.
- Lower Price Point: Art prints are much less expensive than original paintings, so they are more accessible to a larger audience.
- Higher Volume: Because you can produce multiple copies of the same artwork, you have the opportunity to sell more prints and earn more money in the long run.
Cons of Selling Art Prints
- Lower Profit Margins: When you sell art prints, you’re selling a lower quality product. This means that you’ll make less money in the long run.
- Less Authentic Experience: Art prints don’t provide the same experience as an original painting. Buyers may not be as satisfied with the purchase, because they know that they’re not owning a one-of-a-kind piece.
- Less Opportunity to Connect: When you sell art prints, there’s less opportunity to connect with the buyer. You don’t have the same opportunity to explain the story behind the artwork, discuss the techniques you used, or share your inspiration.
At the end of the day, it’s important to consider all of the pros and cons of selling original paintings versus art prints. Each option has its own set of benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to weigh all of the factors before making a decision.
I'm a passionate artist and art enthusiast. I enjoy exploring different visual art forms, from painting to sculpting, and I love learning about the history of art and its impact on society. I'm always looking for new ways to express myself and to share my creativity with the world.